Our guiding principles
To support dog owners to meet the health, welfare and happiness needs of their dogs we have developed a small number of guiding principles to inform our editorial content. We will:
- Only promote, and allow the promotion of, positive training and behaviour modification methods for dogs. Aversive training techniques or products are not supported by Our Family Dog. This includes, but is not limited to, items such as prong, shock or choke-chain collars and bark sprays.
- Only promote, and allow the promotion of, dog trainers and behaviourists that are accredited to the following UK bodies:
- The Association of Pet Dog Trainers
- Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors
- Animal Behaviour Training Council
- Encourage dog owners to use dog services (dog groomers, walkers, sitters, doggy day care, boarding) that are members of the Pet Industry Federation.
We will endeavour to apply these principles to any advertising on our website. However, as advertising is served to the website through a third party, there may be limitations in terms of what we can be reviewed in advance. We will however monitor and seek to remove any advertisements that breach our guiding principles as swiftly as possible.
Our Family Dog follows the good practice guidelines developed by the British Veterinary Association (BVA) for the responsible use of pet animals in advertising.